We are losing the real war and the immediate, urgent need is to save the Jew from himself. It is not an exaggeration to say that the State of Israel stands at an unparalleled crisis, one that truly threatens to bring unthinkable tragedy upon her. It is not the Arabs that pose this awful threat and the battlefront is not in Lebanon or the banks of the Jordan or where the Syrian and Israeli lines meet on the windswept Golan. The battlefront is within the State and the people. We are our own enemy. That which no Arab state was or is capable of doing, the Jew successfully sets about to do.
The battlefront and the issue is not a Jewish-gentile one, but the Jewish loss of perspective, confidence, inner strength, certitude and clear identity. For the first time in Israel’s history, a genuine anti-war movement marched and spoke and protested.
For the first time, a serious breach in Israel’s war unity was seen and doubt and recrimination and guilt corroded the one weapon that made Israel superior, over the years, to Arab manpower and firepower: certainty and confidence in the justice of the Jewish cause.
More and more Jews today, within and without the Jewish state, are unsure of the justice of that cause. Not only in Lebanon, for the overwhelming majority of those who protest the shooting in Beirut are prepared to march against the “oppression of the Palestinians” in the “occupied territories” and to demand their return as part of a “Palestinian state.” And not only the “occupied territories,” for the vast majority of those protesters live with the worm of doubt in their breasts concerning the very right of Zionism to come, after 1800 years, to a land lived in by Arabs and to demand their land for a Jewish state.
Let no one deceive us. It is not a fringe group that seethes with doubt and guilt. It is a growing number of intellectuals and pseudos, and worse–of students and young people who knew not Joseph and the events and realities of a generation ago. They are on both sides of the ocean: Israeli and non- Israeli Jews. They rot the state from within, they corrode the Jewish people with the vinegar of guilt and the poison of gentilized concepts. Cloaked in a mantle of morality sold in the marketplace of “Justice and Ethics,” it is really the cloth of frustrated and lost people, torn by contradiction and self-hate. The tragedy is that they stand in the pulpits, write the newspaper columns, broadcast the televised, selected news and lecture in the universities. Their main victims are youth, part of the lost generation whose Jewish values disappeared under the pressure of an American melting pot so avidly stirred by the American Jewish Establishment, and a secular Zionist stew, spiced by the Socialism of fools.
We pay the price today, of Israeli founding fathers who tore Judaism from Zionism and were convinced that one could produce a proud, knowledgeable and dedicated-unto-death New Hebrew nationalist. We pay the price of those who tore Judaism from the “primitive” Sephardi Jews and produced from the greatness of Sephardi Jewry the values of Dizengoff, with a vengeance. We pay the price of the American Jewish Establishment elite who called for the breaking down of barriers between Jew and non-Jew, for the implementation of the Eleventh Commandment, ” Thou shalt Melt,” for the interfaith and public schools and assimilation of gentile values and concepts. We pay for all this in a huge reservoir of gentilized Jews whose Ignorance of Judaism leads them to proclaim gentile darkness to be Jewish light and non- Jewish immorality to be Jewish ethics.
It will grow worse as the Jewish Vietnam experience grows in Israel, fueled by the Klutznicks and Brickners and Hillel rabbis and all the Jews who long ago lost their belief in a Jewish G-d or particular Judaism and, frantically, need a moral cause to justify their own Jewish existence.
And so, Israel can win the war in Lebanon but that is not the real one. The central and main struggle is for the minds and hearts of Jews in both Israel and the Exile. That is the real war and we are losing it. We must take steps to turn it around, to win. We must take steps to rid Jews of their burden of guilt and doubt and inferiority that will destroy them as some Samson who takes us all with him. We must find a way to teach Jewish morality and ethics: to brand on the hearts and minds of Jews that to win is not immoral and that nothing ethical or positive emerged from Auschwitz. We must teach Jews that there is evil and good in this world and that “thou shalt remove the evil from thy midst.” We must educate the Jew. We must save the Jew from himself.
What must be done is to create, immediately, a large, international group whose sole function will be to produce the books, booklets, pamphlets, tapes, films, speeches, and all that is necessary to capture the mind of the Jew, and especially, the young one. It must be a mass, major international Jewish propaganda and information organization.
And note one important thing: its targets must be Jews and let us put an end to the nonsense of the need to reach the gentiles and “educate” them. The gentile is not only absorbed in his own self-interest and not only driven by innumerable sources of anti-Semitism, but more-the gentile is not relevant to the Jewish future. It is what the Jews do that will affect their destiny and determine what will be with them. Let us, therefore, cease the pitiful whining and apologetics. Let us end our message to the non-Jewish Garcia. Let us concentrate our money, talent and efforts on Jews. The material must be based on the total, unqualified and uncompromised Jewish truth. It must not be a public relations House of Gimmickry. It must cry out the Jewish idea in its honest totality. For too long have Jewish audiences been subject to a weak, apologetic, compromising kind of Israeli and Zionist spokesman versus the sure, confident, uncompromising ” Palestinian.” The latter must win the day.
The organization must understand that it is late, very late; let us pray not too late. For that reason, it dare play the game of “let us not mention this because we may frighten away certain Jews.” It must concentrate on the following points:
1) The Land of Israel in its entirely is Jewish and the Arabs or any other people have no claim to it in any way.
2) The Jewish-Arab dispute did not begin in 1967 or 1947 but has its roots in the very beginning of Zionist return. The issue is the very existence of a Jewish state of any size. Perhaps that meant that the Arabs will never make peace. If true, it is sad, but Zionism was not born to bring peace to the land: it was created to build a Jewish state. With peace– hopefully, but with or without, a Jewish state.
3) Israel has a right and obligation to annex all the liberated territories and settle Jews everywhere. If we have no right to Hebron, where Abraham lived, we surely have no right to Dizengoff Street, built in the twentieth century and where the first Jew never walked.
4) There is no “Palestinian” people. They are Arabs, part of the Arab nation, and trespassers in the Land Of Israel. If they cannot accept the permanence and inviolate character of the Jewish state, let them leave and live in any of the 22 Arab countries. And above all:
5) The Jewish destiny and future is predicated on the Jewish understanding that the Jewish people is a Chosen and special one: chosen at Sinai by the G-d of Israel and bound by an eternal covenant that compels it to walk in the way of Torah. What will be depends solely on that adherence to Jewish faith and laws. This is what the organization must expound. Day and night, this is the message that must go out to the Jew. Pride, not guilt. Faith, not fear. Chosenness, not doubt. And let the Jew learn to recognize the ” Palestinians” for what they really are. Let him learn of the pogroms and rapes of the 1920’s and 1930’s, long before there were “occupied lands.” Let him know what would be if the Arabs, G-d forbid, emerged victorious, thanks in great measure to Jewish naivete and knaves.
This is an organization that must be funded, very well funded. It must have offices worthy of the status of a major Jewish group. It must hire dedicated but professional people. The material must be of fine substance and form. All of this is money and let every Jew ask himself and herself: If not now, when shall I give? And if not now, what will there be tomorrow for me to give? And if not now, where will I be tomorrow? And one final point. Unity. Let not the ancient evil of needless, stupid hatred wreck this last hope of the Jewish people. No Jew who believes in the principles enunciated above can be barred. Unity and Jewish pride. That will save the Jew from himself.